Your wheelchair is an important part of your everyday life, so keeping it clean and hygienic is vital for your health and well-being. Hair, clumps of dirt and debris can impede your wheelchair’s performance. Being proactive and cleaning your chair regularly will help prevent problems before they become an issue.
Here are 10 simple things you can do to keep your chair spic and span.
- Give your wheelchair a regular wipe down with a damp cloth and gentle soap or detergent.
- Don’t get the chair too wet. The cloth should just be damp.
- For ingrained dirt, try scrubbing lightly with a soft brush.
- Use tweezers to get hair and fluff out of your wheels.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals, detergent or bleach, as they can wear the materials and make them crack.
- Some seat cushions have a removable cover which can be machine washed, but always check your Owner’s Manual first.
- If you take your chair outdoors, use a damp cloth to wipe off excess dirt, or wait until the dirt dries off and use a soft brush to brush down the wheels and the base.
- Food and debris may get caught in the nooks and crannies of the chair and between the laterals. You can brush these down with a soft brush or use a vacuum cleaner.
- Use a lint-free, dry cloth to clean the screen on your controller. Don’t use chemicals such as Windex, as they could stain the screen. Never use a scouring pad, as it may scratch the screen.
- To keep your chair smelling as fresh as a daisy, give it a light spray with the air freshener of your choice.
Remember, regular cleaning can help prolong your chair’s life and keep it in tip-top condition. But always make sure you consult your Owner’s Manual first for any specific cleaning guidelines.
Check out this video!
This helpful video from Magic Mobility goes through some simple cleaning tips you can do at home to help keep your power chair in great condition. Watch it now!
Trust the specialists at Power Mobility
At Power Mobility, we understand the importance of having someone you can rely on to make sure you buy the best mobility equipment for your needs. We also appreciate how vital after-sales service is, including maintenance, service and repairs. So before you buy, ask about after-sales service. Many retailers simply sell the products – they don’t offer service and repairs. Power Mobility offer a convenient mobile service and repair centre through our sister company, GS Electronics – a trusted and experienced service provider for over 40 years.
An NDIS Registered Provider, Power Mobility provides the perfect combination of quality mobility products, personal service and expert advice. Widely regarded as the power chair specialists, Power Mobility also offers an extensive selection of manual wheelchairs, scooters, lift chairs and much more. So give our friendly team a call on 07 3265 4663 or drop into our showroom in Geebung.